BUILDING A COZY HOME LIFE ONE JADEITE TEACUP AT A TIME SINCE 2009...


November 9, 2011

Grocery Store Images from the 40's, 50's & 60's

Mrs. Cozy Home has been a very busy girl.
 October and early November turned out to be party time here at Cozy Home; we hosted a Halloween get together, a dinner party for six, and last, a larger potluck for the parents in our daughter's first grade class, as well as their teacher, principal and headmistress. Whew!
As you can imagine, I spent quite a bit of time at grocery and gourmet food markets.  None, however, quite as inventive as the one above :)
 Enjoy these images from the 40's, 50's and 60's with me -- it's fascinating to note the things that have changed and alternately, the things that are still shockingly the same!











 Which image speaks to you? 
Though, what couldn't you live without from modern grocery stores today?

6 comments:

  1. Now we are showing our age :-) The A&P picture is a reminder of days gone by. Are there any A&P stores left?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost reach back in the back of my mind and see these old grocery stores. The only thing missing is the S & H stamps ;-)

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics!!! I like them all especially the first one. It reminds me of myself...when I'm waiting to check out I pick up an item and read it to pass the time. :) I also like the pic with the oranges because the ad on the shelf says "health oranges...best for juice." That shows how times have changed...we don't juice much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pix...I can remember the 50's and 60's looks myself. Thursday was grocery day for my mom and I had to go with her.
    Will share these with my daughters who love mid century anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd be kind of afraid to walk under that display in the second pic! I'm loving that pic of all the baby carriages outside the A&P! Sadly, we could never do that in this day & age! I'm signing up as a follower today - thought I already had! Have a great weekend!! xo Jina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wondering if I would like grocery shopping better if the store looked like this. I'm pretty sure I could not live without most of the conveniences that seem routine - my mom remembers the introduction of boneless chicken breasts, and what a miracle that seemed!

    ReplyDelete