BUILDING A COZY HOME LIFE ONE JADEITE TEACUP AT A TIME SINCE 2009...


March 7, 2011

How to Make a Ribbon Topiary!

Ribbon topiaries are a great, inexpensive way to create a centerpiece for your party table that pulls all of your colors in -- plus they're really fun to make :)
(click to enlarge)

Here are the supplies you need: straight pins with a large-ish head, styrofoam ball, a Styrofoam block, a pot/box/planter, paint, thick dowel, ribbon and glue!

1.) I started by pushing my Styrofoam block all the way to the bottom of the pot, trimming the sides where needed. I squeezed glue around the bottom edge to secure it; it took some time to dry, so I just kept working!
2.) Next, I painted the pot with white paint, down to the inner rim of the pot, took two coats to make opaque.
3.) Third, I used the same paint to cover the dowel, it took about two coats as well.

4.)When dry, I pushed one end of the dowel into the Styrofoam ball and the other end into the foam in the pot.
5.) My favorite part -- the ribbon! I cut 3 inch strips from 6 different coordinating ribbons, looped them and stuck the pin into the overlapping ends, with the sharp end into the styrofoam. It's so fun. :P
And on and on you go until all the spaces are filled! You can cover the top of the pot, around the dowel with a number of things: shredded paper, moss or in my case, polyfil to give it a
cotton candy-look next to the candy bowls!

Up next: My favorite 100% nut-allergy-safe pink CANDY!

5 comments:

  1. I am having a party in a few weeks, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of lots of other color combinations that could be done on the ribbon topiaries! Thanks for showing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for shareing this , i had no idea how simple it could be..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how much Ribbon you used to make one of these???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too? Did you get an answer?

      Delete